A talented artist, Taka’s mother Kumiko also suffers from manic depression and has been catatonic for the last seven years.
- Kumiko is a patient at a psychiatric care facility, St. John Bosco, where Tess’ sister Sabine works as a psychotherapist.
- At the end of "Castles Made of Sand", episode 104, Kumiko screams out, seemingly in reaction to Taka and Sabine’s romantic encounter
- Kumiko remains unchanged at the beginning of 105. Taka discovers a sculpture of hers linked to Andy, and looks at her other pieces in a book detailing all of her work. Ann-Marie Bowen asks Taka to trust her and come with her, and reveals that Kumiko is trapped inside her dreams.
- Kumiko is somehow able to appear to Taka and the members of the Green in the waking world, despite being physically in her room, catatonic, at St. John B.
- Kumiko’s signature is featured on the artwork of the RARE EARTH METALS/RAPID EYE MOVEMENT shrine to the Boy in 107.